If you’ve come to realize that owning beautiful and expensive jewelry is actually an investment then good for you!
And like you should do with all investments, you should know how to take good care of it over time in order to let it appreciate and increase its value.
Or, if you simply want your jewelry to look gorgeous and sparkling forever because you just love it, then the same amount of TLC should apply.
So here are some smart tips to help you look after your jewelry.
- KNOW WHAT YOU’VE GOT. It’s always best to find out the material, metal, and gemstone of the pieces you own. The easiest way to do this is to ask a person from the store you bought it from. Or go to a jeweler to have it appraised. You need to know everything you can about it so you don’t accidentally damage the piece while cleaning it.
- SIMPLE CLEANING IS BEST. Sometimes those fancy, powerful cleaning solvents do more harm than good. Even using an ultrasonic cleaner, which literally shakes off the dirt, could damage older pieces. Usually, warm soapy water and a soft-bristled toothbrush will do the trick. But do watch out for drains. Don’t remove jewelry over a sink.
- STORE THEM PROPERLY. Be sure to store your jewelry in a jewelry case or box with several compartments to keep each piece separately. This is because harder stones can scratch softer ones. Pieces are also easier to find and they don’t get all jumbled up with each other. Also, keep your jewelry away from the sunlight and similar sources.
- ON LAST, OFF FIRST. Makeup, perfumes, lotions, hair products can damage your pieces or at the very least make them dirty. So put on your jewelry last, when you’re done with everything, to complete your entire look. Then take it off before removing your clothes. Tugging at clothes can break or entangle a chain or remove an earring.
- TAKE A CLOSER LOOK. We know you love looking at your jewelry, but you need to take a really close look to see if anything needs fixing. Be sure to inspect the claws and the stone’s setting. Loose claws will eventually lead to breaking, making the stone fall off. If you’re not sure what to look out for, have a professional jeweler check it twice a year.
Now that you know how to take better care of your jewelry. Go ahead and enjoy wearing them. You certainly deserve it.